[Linux-libre-announce] Introducing Non-PAE, Support For 3.12 Series Terminated

Jason Self j at jxself.org
Mon Mar 10 21:07:21 PDT 2014

With the recent announcement that the 3.12 series was becoming a
long-term kernel support for that series has been terminated. When
I originally announced the long-term support kernels [0], I said I
would support at most two at a time: The current long-term and the
previous one. With this announcement, kernel.org has 3 long-term
kernels listed and I have decided to stick with my original
schedule of supporting two. Based on this, the next long-term
kernel isn't scheduled to be added to my repository until support
for the 3.4 series ends this coming October. I'll have more
information about the next long-term support kernel as that time
approaches. In the meantime, please move to a supported kernel
series at this time if you want continued bug fixes and security
updates.

Next, I received a few requests to provide non-PAE kernels and I'm
happy to announce that they are now available. In case you don't
know PAE is a feature where 32-bit computers can access more than
4GB of memory. Most modern CPUs support this but older computers
don't necessarily do and are incompatible with PAE-enabled kernels.

Some GNU/Linux distributions have stopped providing non-PAE
kernels, essentially dropping support for those with these older
computers. These people would typically need to compile their own
custom kernels in order to disable PAE and potentially make their
own custom installation media. This at least helps with the first
part of that. I hope that this makes software freedom easier for
those people by providing them with a non-PAE version of
Linux-libre.

Supported versions are:
3.4 - Previous long term series, supported until October 2014
3.10 - Current long term series, supported until September 2015
3.13 - Current short term series, supported until April 2014

Instructions for using the repository can be found at
http://jxself.org/linux-libre/

[0] http://jxself.org/introducing-lts.shtml